Eventually, however, I was able to get moving on the background stitching - in some ways the most creative and enjoyable part.
I decided to use very pale blue and very pale green thread - single strand - hoping to give a sense of water. Eventually I introduced a slightly darker green as well.
The design is carefully segmented by strands of floating plants, so I began by following the shapes each each section.
Eventually I got bolder, and worked circles and long lines like waterfalls.
It was such satisfying work - improvising and going where the project took my needle.
I then decided to work the whole piece of fabric, creating a further border on the outer edge of the fabric.
2014 sampler). The outer border is blue and I intend to stitch green waves on the outer edge.
I have a few ideas for the gap between the borders, but need to play around a bit before deciding.
So much enjoyment from one project!