The second of my Quaker embroideries is entitled More Freedom and features a woman riding a bicycle. It comes from the Quaker Tapestry panel A8, depicting the 1895 Manchester Conference.
After finishing it, I realised there is some guidance in the published Quaker Gallery Stitch Guide, which I'm pretty sure I own! Somewhere. Having now looked at the Guide online, I notice Bridget Guest, the author, suggests adding a street scene to personalise it. I'm rather glad I didn't see that beforehand!
The iron-on transfer gives, of course, a reverse image. Since, by this method, you are creating a pattern on the back of the fabric, it is what you want.
When you mount it right-side up in your hoop, voila! The wheels, however, are wonky.
It is an exercise in the basics - transferring the pattern, Quaker stitch and Bayeux stitch.
I managed those OK, but not perfect circles!
and made a twisted cord. The zip means the cord can't be fully retracted for storage in the bag, so I added a bead and loop, so the length can be adjusted.
It can, if so desired, be stored inside except for a short loop serving as a handle. That should cover most contingencies.
Again, I have no specific recipient in mind - and I certainly have more useful little bags than I will ever use, but hopefully someone will take a fancy to it! It's too small to act as a bicycle bag, but it would do to carry a phone and purse safely while riding a bike if you didn't have safe pockets, giving you, yes, more freedom!
No comments:
Post a Comment