Search This Blog

Monday, June 26, 2023

St Brigid Finish (This post may have more knitting detail than some readers want.)

Quite a bit has happened in the almost 2 months since I posted the last update on the St Brigid jumper, but I am pleased to report it is finished!  

The lapel pin which can't be  read in the lead photo is one I bought back in April for just this purpose. It reflects my philosophy.  The knitting is pretty good, but it isn't perfect. The jumper, however is finished, warm, attractive and fit for purpose.

When I last posted I had begun the sleeve, which is designed as the back/front without the wide middle panel. It is knit from the cuff up, widening as you go. The increases eventually form another cable and then a moss stitch panel either side. When you reach the shoulder only the central cable continues to form a 'saddle' over the shoulder to the neck. It's clever and faster to knit than the front and back, mainly due to the absence of the complex central panel. 

I joined the sleeve to the back as soon as I finished it to make sure it fitted and to see how it worked before embarking on the front.
In my eagerness to finish the front, I miscounted the number of pattern repeats in the front, and stupidly began the neck decrease without measuring against the back. I got to the shoulder on one side before sensing something was wrong and measuring it. Nothing for it but to undo back to the neck division and add another pattern repeat.

A minor setback in the scheme of things, and soon rectified. 

Somehow the complexity of the cables made it really interesting to see each stage advance. I don't usually feel so excited by progress.

Once I had finishing the second sleeve, inserted it and began to knit the neck roll, I had an entirely preventable accident. 

I cut my right thumb quite badly on a mandolin. I hadn't used the mandolin for a number of years and stupidly got it out to use when a recipe suggested it, without remembering the food holder-cum-hand guard. The cut was painful and messy. I dressed it myself but had it checked out by my doctor which resulted in this bandage. After several days I could knit with the thumb upright and the needle between my thumb and forefinger. It was slow going, but not difficult.
I decided not to block the jumper unless the fit was not good enough. I really like the texture of the cables as they are and didn't want to interfere with that unless I needed to.
Brigid agreed - and it fits!  I don't usually put photos of family online, but I've managed to create one I'm happy to share. 

This has been such a satisfying project, and finished in time for the worst of our winter.

After all my early agonising about whether I'd have enough wool, I have two and a half balls left over! Maybe a hat or bag in the future?

No comments: