Search This Blog

Saturday, December 14, 2019

Silvery Grey Shawl


This is the most ambitious of the knitting projects I have worked on over the last few months. Amongst the wool my brother gave me from his auction adventures, was several balls of fine Rowan mohair. I paired this with the slightly metallic silvery Rico Creative Reflection, from which I had knitted a triangular shawl.

I was inspired by a chevron shawl on display at The Yarn Trader at Port Adelaide, knitted in mohair and four ply. I bought the pattern with a view to trying these two textures.




It proved a brilliant match. I'm so glad I saw the sample at The Yarn Trader, because I would never have thought of trying it otherwise.

The pattern is only one row (with a purl return). It is a long row to remember, but once you have it, it's  straightforward.  It did, however, take quite a while. The shawl is two metres long.



I really enjoyed knitting it. It looks and feels beautiful as it grows. While the pattern specifies the variations in the width of stripes, there is endless scope to improvise.

Blocking was a challenge, but I used a beach towel on the floor with success.

Nor was it easy to photograph the finished product because of the length.


To the left it is draped over a chair, to the right, hanging in my balcony window.




Feedback from my Adelaide family was very firm about who this should be for, so I took their advice. It is good to have this in mind early on, because I like to knit specific thoughts and wishes into the fabric.

The recipient is happy with it and will get good use of it.

It's a good lesson in the creative possibilities of lovely yarn, contrast, and a simple idea. It works so much better than either yarn on its own.

No comments: