With twin granddaughters I couldn't resist the Top of the Class tunic in the hot pink and lime green featherwale corduroy in Australian Smocking and Embroidery 93. It is a great, simple shape with the big attraction of embroidered figures around the hem.
About four weeks ago I did the smocking
and over the next weekend blocked them and cut out the other pieces.
It took me half a day to make up each dress. I did a bit of unpicking on the second one - until I set it aside for an hour or so: either tiredness or lack of focus was causing me to make every mistake possible.
They were then ready for me to transfer the embroidery designs to the hemline. I was hoping to do a pleated hem over the embroidery because (1) it is easier and (2) it allows me to leave a bigger hem allowance.
Of course, having done that, I am finding the gel pen isn't fading!
I finished the green one completely before moving on to the embroidery on the pink one. After some deliberation I made a pleated hem that sits just above the figures. Although not in the pattern, it allows me a bit of extra length for growth (I figure I can put rows of featherstitch around any fade marks that appear if they need to be let down), avoids handstitching a hem on a plain fabric and gives body to the skirt.
I worked away from home last week, so marked out the figures to be embroidered on the pink dress and packed it as my project for the week - a perfect choice, given it is all in black thread and I have already done it on green.
I also managed to find some black tops and leggings.
This morning we met up with the girls and their mother shopping in the Adelaide Central Market.
Now that's a satisfying project!.