Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Smocked top for adult

In the Christmas period I finished a smocked top for myself. This is entirely experimental. I have some beautiful  ikat bought from Pertenunan Berdikari Handwoven Cloth Factory, JL. Dewi Sartika 42, Singaraja, Bali, Indonesia. I thought I would make some of it into a tunic top with a smocked front panel but couldn't find a pattern of exactly what I wanted.


In the end I adapted a nightdress pattern - MecoModes' Simone, which I eventually got, with some difficulty, from The Garden Fairies Trading Company in the USA. MecoModes patterns are designed by Kathy Barak of Australia, but the adult patterns are hard to come by.


I elimated the belt and neck frill and shortened it to the mid-thigh. In order to test it out, I made it in a white lose-weave heavy cotton, rather than try it on the ikat.


I have a bargello smocking pattern in mind for the ikat, but tried the first attempt with a simple colour gradation.


I think this was probably a mistake - a  pattern with more vertical interest,  would work better.


I also made a mistake setting in the sleeves by not reading the pattern carefully enough. I need to cut a curve into the back gathered section below the yoke. It is, however, quite wearable, will be useful and help me to do a better job on the ikat when I get to it.



No comments: